Today I decided to try making transparent soap.
Usually I use the cold process method, but for making transparent soap, I use the hot process method. I start by measuring my oils and lye and dumping it all into the crock pot.
After a while of cooking, it starts to get chunky looking.
I keep letting the soap cook. It starts to get vaseline looking.
After testing the pH, I remove half of the soap, colour it green, add some fragrance and plop it into my mold
Now that I have half of the soap left in the crock pot, I start by adding the ingredients to make the soap transparent.
In the picture below, I've started to add the Everclear. You can see it starting to bubble as the alcohol starts to burn off. I put the cover on to keep as much in as as possible.
As the soap dissolves in the Everclear, I add the rest of the Everclear and some liquid glycerin. After the soap turns clear and watery and the bubble from mixing disipate, I add a mixture of sugar water. The soap is clear and ready for the mold!
I color it and add fragrance and pour it into the mold on top of the opaque soap from earlier.
Usually my logs of soap easily slide out of the mold, but this one was a little difficult. I had to take the whole mold apart to get the log out and it left some of the transparent soap behind! I'm going to have to scrape all that off before I put the mold back together. Next time, I'll use a different mold!
You can see the soap has a transparent layer on top and an opaque layer on the bottom. It turned out pretty good for my first try!
Nice and transparent!
Hopefully I'll get this method down and I can start making this soap in larger batches!